When I was in Kauai earlier this year, I noticed a number of people poolside and on the beach who had tiny little speakers playing music from their iPhones. The music wasn’t being played loud, but I could still tell the quality and volume were better than what comes out of the iPhone speaker. I wanted one for my next trip.
Coincidentally, within days I received an email from the folks at Bassboomz asking if I wanted to review their Bassboomz speakers. Of course!
The Bassboomz is a portable speaker that uses bluetooth technology to connect to your phone, laptop, or tablet. Sync it up to bluetooth and you’ve got your music or podcast playing in perfect clarity.
Above you’re looking at the expanded version of the speaker (which provides a bit more bass) at about three inches tall. Push it down, twist, and lock it into place and it’s compact (without the white part showing) at about two inches tall.
I took this on a motorcycle trip with friends a few weeks ago and it was a perfect little accompaniment at our beachside cabin. We found that anyone could connect to it from their iPhone so we listened to a variety of playlists throughout the weekend. Note, however, that only one bluetooth can be connected at any time so one person has to disconnect before the speaker is recognized on another device.
What I Love
- I can easily pack this away for a trip and listen on my own or share music with friends.
- It’s clear and much better than trying to listen to music with my iPhone speaker.
- I use this a lot at home. I play my podcasts while doing the dishes and cleaning the house. I can move it from room to room and leave my iPhone in one location (though more than 15 feet or so and you start to get static)
Not So Much
- I haven’t actually timed it, but the battery life doesn’t seem to be super long. And there’s no warning when it’s going to shut off. It just goes silent. My best guess is that it’s good for a couple of hours. Use the USB cable (included) for power if you can.
- When you first turn it on, there’s a loud chime. I wish there was a way to either silence this or lower the volume. Sometimes I turn it on early in the morning when Jon’s sleeping and even from two rooms away I’m afraid it’s going to wake him.
- It’s easy to push it down to compact it but I find it hard to twist and lock into place. It’s not impossible but I have to work at it.
Having said all that, I can’t wait to bring this on my next group tour. I’m a big music fanatic and I love to share my music so I think this is going to be a fun way to spread the music love with others (and to have them share, too!).
Available in Pink, Red, Green, Gold, Black, Blue, Purple, and Silver. You can find all the available colors on the Bassboomz site
Available in limited colors on Amazon for about $70.