Participants agree to the following Terms & Conditions from Wanderlust and Lipstick:
1. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
2. Sponsor: Wanderlust and Lipstick (PO Box 16102, Seattle, WA 98116).
3. Contest Entry Period: Contest begins 12:01 AM PST October 1, 2013 and ends December 31, 2013 11:59 PM PST.
4. Eligibility: Contest is only open to women, 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees of Wanderlust and Lipstick and its subsidiaries and affiliates as well as their immediate family members are not eligible. By entering this Contest you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility criteria set forth above and agree to these Official Contest Rules.Â
Previously published works are eligible for submission, so long as the author is the entrant and warrants any and all rights to the work submitted are owned by the author. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject and/or disqualify any entries, subjects, or related materials that Sponsor deems to be obscene, defamatory, profane, offensive, lewd, pornographic, false, misleading, deceptive, or otherwise inconsistent with its editorial standards, audience expectations, or reputational interests or that Sponsor believes may violate any applicable law or regulation or the rights of any third party. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to verify any element of any entry or related materials, request additional information and to disqualify any entrant whose participation may subject the contest, Sponsor or Sponsor’s advertisers, clients, or customers to controversy, negative publicity, scorn, or ridicule. Furthermore, Sponsor shall not be responsible for any Submission that is lost, intercepted or is not received by Sponsor.
Sponsor is the official timekeeper for the Contest. Entries may not contain brand names or trademarks, other than those of the Sponsor or Expedia, Inc.
5. How to Enter:
a. Write a nonfiction travel story of 800-2,500 words in length with thematic elements from one of following four categories of stories:Â (1) Spiritual (2) Food & Drink (3) Adventure or (4) Passion.
b. Your story should be personal, fun, and interesting within the topic you choose.
c. When submitting your story, you must fill in the fields for the story’s category, title, and the story itself in addition to your contact information. You must also check the box that you’ve read our terms and conditions. If your story has been published previously, note where it was published and the date of publication.
d. DO NOT include any photos, or any other material with your story.
e. You are required to submit your entry through this link. Any entry sent by any other method, including but not limited to email, US mail, or fax, will be rejected. You will not be contacted in the event your submission by the prior methods is rejected.
6. Selection of Winners: Professionals from the world of travel writing will decide the top story in each category, and one Grand Prize winner, for a total of four (4) winners. The judges, selected in the sole discretion of Sponsor for their expertise and experience as travel writers and editors, will evaluate all entries based on the following judging criteria: (a) how well the story is written; (b) how personal elements are incorporated; and (c) how well the entry reflects the theme.
7. Prize: One winner will receive the Grand Prize of a certificate good for a six (6) night stay for two (2) people at the all-inclusive resort, Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal in Costa Rica. Grand Prize also includes two (2) Expedia vouchers for airline travel of $600 each, valid only from the United States to San Jose, Costa Rica. The approximate retail value of the trip is $4,080. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, and the dates of travel. The trip must be taken by November 15, 2014 and must be booked in advance with Expedia’s reservations department. Stay cannot be completed during the week of Easter. The stay is subject to availability, blackout dates, and additional restrictions. Winner must be at least 21 years of age. If the winner’s travel companion is a minor, he/she must be accompanied by his/her parent or legal guardian. The travel companion (or his/her parent or legal guardian) must sign a liability and publicity release prior to issuance of travel documents. Once travel documents are issued, travel arrangements cannot be changed. Winner is responsible for paying any applicable income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. Any prize details not specified above will be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason. Cash, or substitute prize at the winner’s request shall not be awarded in lieu of the prize as outlined in this section.
Four Category winners will receive a TORQ carry-on bag from Briggs & Riley.
Each winner may only win one prize.
8. Notice to Winners: Winners will be notified via email and will have 3 days to respond. Decisions of Sponsor are final.
9. Limitation of Liability: By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Expedia, Inc. and Wanderlust and Lipstick, their affiliates and subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives, and agents from any and all liability, damage, loss, costs, and expenses including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death, claims based on publicity rights, defamation, libel, and/or invasion of privacy arising out of participation in this Contest or the acceptance or use or misuse of the prize. Except where prohibited by law, acceptance of the prize constitutes winner’s consent to use his/her name, likeness, photographs, written responses (in whole or in part) prize won, hometown and biographical data for advertising, public relations, promotional or publication purposes in an media and in any manner whatsoever, without limitation or restriction and without further notice, permission or compensation.
10. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT AGREES: (A) TO BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND BY ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND ALL DECISIONS OF SPONSOR AND THE INDIVIDUAL JUDGES WHICH SHALL BE BINDING AND FINAL; (B) TO WAIVE ANY RIGHTS TO CLAIM AMBIGUITY WITH RESPECT TO THE OFFICIAL RULES; (C) TO WAIVE ALL OF HIS OR HER RIGHTS TO BRING ANY CLAIM, ACTION, OR PROCEEDING AGAINST ANY OF THE SPONSOR or EXPEDIA, INC.; AND (D) TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS EACH OF THE SPONSOR, EXPEDIA, INC. AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS AND REPRESENTATIVES, FROM ANY LIABILITY (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LIABILITY FOR ANY PROPERTY LOSS, DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY, BODILY INJURY, DEATH, LOSS, EXPENSE, ACCIDENT, DELAY, INCONVENIENCE OR IRREGULARITY), COSTS AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE OUTSIDE ATTORNEY’S FEES AND COSTS) THAT MAY ARISE IN CONNECTION WITH: (I) THE ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST, (II) TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS IN THE OFFICIAL RULES OR ANY CONTEST PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS, (III) ACCEPTANCE OR POSSESSION, DEFECTS IN, USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE ANY PRIZE (OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF), (IV) ANY CHANGE BY ANY COMPANY OR ANY OTHER PERSON PROVIDING ANY OF THE COMPONENTS OF A PRIZE DUE TO REASONS BEYOND ANY OF THE SPONSOR’S CONTROL OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED HEREUNDER, (V) ANY INTERRUPTIONS IN OR POSTPONEMENT, CANCELLATION, OR MODIFICATION OF THE CONTEST, (VI) HUMAN ERROR, (VII) INCORRECT OR INACCURATE TRANSCRIPTION, RECEIPT OR TRANSMISSION OF ANY PART OF THE ENTRY (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE ENTRY INFORMATION OR ANY PARTS THEREOF), (VIII) ANY TECHNICAL MALFUNCTIONS OR UNAVAILABILITY OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY TELEPHONE NETWORK, COMPUTER ONLINE SYSTEM, COMPUTER DATING MECHANISM, COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE, OR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER UTILIZED BY ANY OF THE SPONSOR OR BY AN ENTRANT, (IX) INTERRUPTION OR INABILITY TO ACCESS THE CONTEST, ANY CONTEST-RELATED WEB PAGES, OR ANY ONLINE SERVICE VIA THE INTERNET DUE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS, (X)ANY DAMAGE TO ENTRANT’S (OR ANY THIRD PERSON’S) COMPUTER OR ITS CONTENTS RELATED TO OR RESULTING FROM ANY PART OF THE CONTEST, (XI) ANY LOST OR DELAYED DATA TRANSMISSIONS, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DEFECTS, OR ANY OTHER ERRORS OR MALFUNCTIONS, (XII) ANY WRONGFUL, NEGLIGENT, OR UNAUTHORIZED ACT OR OMISSIONS ON THE PART OF ANY OF THE SPONSOR, OR ANY OF THEIR AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES, OR (XIII) ANY OTHER CAUSE, CONDITION OR EVENT WHATSOEVER BEYOND THE CONTROL OF ANY ONE OR MORE OF THE SPONSOR. EACH WINNER HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE SPONSOR HAS NEITHER MADE NOR IS IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO ANY PRIZE OR COMPONENT THEREOF, INCLUDING ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY ANY OF THE PRIZE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST.
11. To obtain a legally-required list of the winners (after the conclusion of the Contest) or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed envelope with the proper postage affixed to Wanderlust and Lipstick, PO Box 16102, Seattle, WA 98116
12. Sponsor reserves the right to suspend or cancel the Contest or modify these Official Rules as necessary for any reason or as required by applicable law. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify from the Contest, and ban from any future promotions, any person it believes to have intentionally violated these Official Rules, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or to have tampered with any element of the Contest without notice to the disqualified or banned person.
13. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these official rules and the decisions of Wanderlust and Lipstick in all matters relating to this Contest. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of laws rules or provisions. Any legal claims arising out of or relating to the Contest or these Official Rules must be brought in the federal or state courts located in Washington.
14. Authors retain all rights to their written work and all qualified entries are subject to publication on the Wanderlust and Lipstick site.
For more information about the contest: