The camera industry is rapidly changing and many people are ditching their big heavy DSLR cameras.
Owning a camera bag company means that I have to keep up with the latest trends in photography and I recently learned some interesting things.
• 2010 was the year that more cameras sold than any other year in the history of mankind. Camera sales have declined in the last five years and sales are now even with what they were back in 1998.
• More people are using phones and tablets for travel photography. The quality of the imbedded cameras are more than needed for online portfolios. Online is where most people are using their photos.
• Big camera bodies and lenses will mainly be used by professional photographers and regular consumers will most likely be using phones and tablets.
Five reasons to ditch the DSLRs:
- Weight: No one likes to haul around a big heavy camera all the time. There can be many great photo opportunities missed because you left your camera home. Plus the aching neck and shoulder syndrome from carrying a camera around all day.
- Size: using a Smart device such as your phone or tablet eliminates the need for an extra bag. You can easily keep your device in a purse or smaller bag that you would use to carry light essentials for the day.
- Ease of loading your photos online: With a camera, especially if you are not tech savvy, you need to find the time to load all of your images onto your computer and size them appropriately for the web. I still have 100’s of photos in this status from trips taken over the last few years that I haven’t had time to get to. You can choose and upload photos immediately from your phone to Facebook, Instagram and other online medias.
- Airport Time: Most people do not like to stow their expensive camera gear into checked luggage, which leaves you no other choice but to carry it on. If you like to travel light, you can minimize your time through airport security. They love stopping people with a heavy arsenal of camera gear and lenses.
- Never missing the shot: More than likely, you will always have your phone on you, you will have quick access to its camera. Many recent, great photos have been taken with phones. You will have more of an opportunity to capture the moment!
Man with Big Camera – copyright: Luis Louro
Cameras – copyright: Ana Maria Tudor
Heavy Bag – copyright: Andrei Zaripov
Phones – copyright: Teerawut Masawat