For the Love of Travel

by Rhonda Mix - Bamboo Boulevard
( November 8th, 2011 )

For some of us travel means a quick, two-week vacation once a year.  The reprieve gives us comfort, our reward for slaving away behind the walls of a cubicle day after day in a monotonous daze.

sunbathing

For others, travel is something quite different.  There are those of  us who lust after unknown lands like addicts.  Travel gets under our skin and flows through our blood, leaving us elated, breathless, and always hungering for more.

Take us away from travel and we become like caged lions, pacing back and forth, eyes ever-focused on someplace wild and free beyond the cold steel bars of imprisonment.

lion gazing

I recently had a conversation with a fellow travel blogger who said maybe she’d feel more sane if she finally just ‘settled down’ in one place.  For me, my predicament is opposite.  The longer I’m home, the less sane I feel.

While my friends all worry about getting married and having babies, I now wonder if my true love is travel.  I sometimes envision myself as an eternal wandering monk-lady, traversing to the ends of the earth alone and possibly ending up destitute.

But somehow, I don’t care.

Because who makes these rules anway?

As I’ve said before, I don’t believe success and ‘real’ living only come with an office job, a perfect house, perfect spouses, and perfect children.

There are so many ways to be successful in this life and though one man/woman’s success  may not seem worthy in the eyes of another, this does not mean the success isn’t just as real and true.

I notice more and more travel blogs springing up wherein bloggers state things like “I decided to leave the cubicle and go on a round the world adventure,” and while I have to admit that many of these blogs seem cliche and redundant, it’s very refreshing to see people stepping away from society’s preconceived notions of what true success really means.

It would be nice to one day have that soulmate to sail my ship with.  But until then…

I’ll remember this quote and leave you with it as well.  Before I embarked on my journey to Taiwan I received this inspiration in an e-mail and it’s stuck with me ever since…

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

photos © Wikimedia Commons

Ocean Sunset

Comments
On November 8th, 2011 at 4:30 pm, Beth Shepherd - Pampers and Pakhlava said:

I believe success IS happiness, wherever you find it. For some it’s the uniqueness and stimulation from travel and the unknown and for others it’s familiarity and consistency from the same environment.

I always wanted to (and still wish I could) travel more, but travel can be expensive (unless one has a good portable income-worthy skill), so I do understand the necessity of “cube then travel”: earn and go.

So lucky you to be able to dream about the way you want to live your life and then live your dream!

On November 8th, 2011 at 10:50 pm, Rhonda Mix - Bamboo Boulevard said:

I agree with what you are saying completely and I hope I didn’t insult you with my post. I’m actually pretty poor…I’ve funded my travel through freelancing and teaching ESL. I don’t come from a family with money and I didn’t even have my first overseas experience until I was 26! I do think people can be happy working in the cubicle, saving money, and then traveling in their off-time or when they retire. There’s nothing wrong with that—it’s just not the life for me. I worked in a cubicle for many years and felt my life draining away. So now I guess I have to worry about what will happen when I do want to retire! But every person is indeed different and looks at success/happiness in his/her own light. That was one of the points of my post.:)

On December 11th, 2011 at 4:29 pm, Dylan said:

I agree with most of your points

On December 13th, 2011 at 12:39 am, Lisa Overman - Hammock in Paradise said:

I can so relate to your feeling of the longer you are in one place the less sane you feel. I am a traveler and this time of preparation as I get ready for an overseas teaching job where I can travel and explore is feeling like it’s taking way too long!

On December 16th, 2011 at 3:51 pm, Heather said:

right on!

On January 7th, 2012 at 7:13 pm, Sandy said:

So great to know there are so many others out enjoying their happiness in the world, living their/our dreams. I kinda feel we’re the first generation of women who are somewhat accepted for making the choice to live life solo rather than waiting for or even having to settle for the right partner before setting forth and hoisting our sails, so to speak. I adore travel and am fortunate enough to be able to take months at a time and still have a job when I return… what a life! While many of my friends are in and out of relationships/marriages thinking that is what their life is supposed to be, we are out experiencing the world and making the most of our time on this great planet. I hope more catch on and see that the big risk is in NOT going rather than stepping out side the box and into a completely foreign local… and going alone only opens the door to making more personal connections with others. I admire all folks/women who set out for adventure, no matter where or for how long, so long as it’s somewhere new and different. Buddha even emphasizes the importance of getting away to some place new on a regular basis, see new sights, experience the unknown and get a fresh perspective. Keep up all the great adventures! Kudos to you all!

On February 3rd, 2012 at 5:58 pm, Luobote said:

Well you can always get a job talking to affluent businessmen in a Jap bar:P

On February 3rd, 2012 at 6:00 pm, Luobote said: