Photo credit: Royal Robbins
My number one concern when hiking is comfort and I’ve come to accept that hiking pants will always look like hiking pants, i.e. colored in shades of gray and green, with unsightly zippers and myriad side pockets; there’s no way around it. So when Royal Robbins offered to send me their Glen Canyon pants, I was pleasantly surprised to find that their collection of clothing for the outdoors is infused with a refreshing sense of style. I tried out the Royal Robbins Glen Canyon pants and was blown away by how comfortable and cozy they felt in addition to looking stylish and crisp.
Royal Robbins was founded in 1968 with the sole aim of providing outdoor clothing that is multifunctional, stylish and most importantly, comfortable. My new Glen Canyon hiking pants definitely live up to all these expectations and more. The pants provide UPF 50+ protection (the highest possible rating given to clothing, which means these pants provide excellent protection from UV radiation) along with being wrinkle-resistant and quick-dry. Wow, I’ll never have to worry about carrying extra sunscreen or being stuck with wrinkled hiking pants from the laundry dryer ever again.
These pants are truly made for adventure, whether you’re beating down a new trail or scaling high mountains. They fit extremely well, almost like a second-skin. When I first tried them on, I was astonished at how well they molded to my body. This is because the pants are made from modern moleskin – a durable, lightweight, soft fabric which stretches for comfort and keeps the wearer dry and comfortable. The slightly stretchy fabric provides a priceless “customized-for-you” fit.
What I love about the Glen Canyon hiking pants is the additional button-up pocket on the front which provides a secure place to keep valuables like car keys or money. It is a brilliant design! Nobody wants zippered side pockets which hang heavy on the thighs or jangle with keys above your knees. Two deep pockets in the back are great for additional storage, whether its a trail map or an energy bar. Also, thoughtful details like the sturdy but pretty buttons in the front all add up to a great pair of pants.
I’ve been wearing these pants outdoors for the past couple weeks and my verdict is that they are by far one of the best hiking pants I’ve had. I even wore them to office one day and nobody even blinked twice. They look crisp and professional and can easily be dressed up if switching to work mode. The fabric is soft to touch and supremely comfortable on the skin. I can wear these pants all day and still feel fresh at the end of a long hike. The Glen Canyon pants are very lightweight and pack well, they are compact and can easily fit into my carry-on. Although instead of packing them, I’m looking forward to wearing them on my next trip/flight since they are so comfortable.
What I love:
- The fit – With it’s stretchy fabric, these pants are a phenomenally comfortable fit
- The style – Clean cut and professional, so you can wear them when hiking or to the office
- The color – Caramel is one of my favorite colors and I’m so glad I got these in Macchiato. Yum!
- The rise – With a contemporary rise, the pants do not sit too high or too low on the hips
- The length – They are long enough to cover my ankles which is a perfect for me
- The finish – A boot-cut finish ensures a relaxed fit and easy access to wear/remove ankle-length hiking boots
- Dress them up – These pants can be easily dressed up to look great at the office. The Macchiato color resembles corduroy, so add a nice top/blouse and jacket and you’re all set to wine and dine
- UPF 50+ rating – This is the highest possible rating for sun-protection given to a garment. The Glen Canyon Pants shine in this category by providing maximum protection from UV radiation
Royal Robbins Glen Canyon pants are available in sizes 2-16 (they come true to size) and in shades of Charcoal, Dark Shadow Blue, Dark Teal and Macchiato colors.