WanderFood Wednesday: Josselin’s Tapas on Kauai

( June 22nd, 2010 )

Josselin's Crab Meat

There’s a reason why I’m still on a fruit and veggie fast since returning from my Culinary Press Trip to Kauai in May. It all started with our first stop which was Josselin’s Tapas Bar & Grill.

The restaurant had just opened a few weeks prior to our arrival and was already the talk of the island with several people telling us they had already visited it multiple times. Located in the Kukui’ula Village Mall, Josselin’s is the latest restaurant opened by chef Jean-Marie Josselin.

Jean-Marie had previously overseen A Pacific Cafe on the island and was recently lured back from a ten-year stint in Vegas.

Josselin’s specializes in small bites with a vast array of options – from veggie to seafood to full-on meat. Following are just a FEW of the items we taste-tested. There was so much on the table I never did get shots of everything!

Josselin's Fish

Josseslin's Firecracker Salmon

This is the Firecracker Salmon. Hmm mmm mmm mmm mmm.

Josselin's Pork Belly

This is the 36 Hours Braised Pork Belly (I didn’t partake in this but it did look kinda good).

Josselin's Sangria

And to top it all off, lychee (which grows wild around the island) sangria. The sangria cart makes its way around the restaurant throughout the evening and there’s always at least 2 options. Our other choice was pomegranate.

Josselin's dessert

Josselin's Dessert

Josselin's Dessert
And the mighty desserts. How could one possibly turn away any of this food? You simply can’t. And THAT is why I’m on a largely fruit and veggie diet, STILL :-)

Josselin's Tapas Interior

Interior of Josselin’s Tapas Bar & Grill.

Reservations recommended. Open nightly from 5 to 10 p.m.

Please join WanderFood Wednesday by adding a link to your food-related post. If you’re a newbie, see more about WanderFood Wednesday here.

Life’s Short, Eat Well!

Comments
On June 22nd, 2010 at 10:14 pm, Sarah V. said:

You had me at “Culinary Press Trip to Kauai.” Looks wonderful!

On June 23rd, 2010 at 5:50 am, Carrie said:

Oh my. I’d be on a diet too. Everything looks so good, but those desserts really take the cake! :)

On June 23rd, 2010 at 5:54 am, Gourmantic said:

The firecracker salmon and lychee sangria get my vote. The pomegranate sangria would have been interesting to try as well!

On June 23rd, 2010 at 7:15 am, Kristina@FormerChef said:

The food there looks fantastic. But you’ve been on a fruit and veggie diet since MAY? Wow…

On June 23rd, 2010 at 7:21 am, Sweet Travel said:

I really shouldn’t look at profiteroles before breakfast. My oatmeal just won’t taste the same.

On June 23rd, 2010 at 7:28 am, OurPrivateKitchen said:

Um, wow, can I have one of everything?! I can’t decide what looks the the best!!

On June 23rd, 2010 at 7:31 am, Donna Hull said:

So sorry that it took me three trys to get the Mr. Linky right.

After reading your post, I’m ready to go back to Kauai. The idea of small bites appeals to me. I’ll take the Firecracker Salmon, please.

On June 23rd, 2010 at 8:19 am, Stephanie (Food Freeway) said:

Wow, everything looks delicious – especially the desserts. Yum… :)

On June 23rd, 2010 at 8:45 am, jessiev said:

YUM YUM

On June 23rd, 2010 at 9:06 am, Myscha Theriault said:

First of all, is it wrong that I want some of that Lychee sangria RIGHT NOW? Yummo. Also, I thought this might be a great time to invite everyone over to a weekly carnival I’m starting on our lifestyle blog, We Be Sharin’. It’s called Happy Hour Friday and the first one is in two days. Here’s the advanced press page with parameters. Very easy, and a chance for us all to network further.

Beth, congrats on another great weekly food roundup.

On June 23rd, 2010 at 9:19 am, Lisa Overman said:

Wow, you guys had some great tapas. I love the idea of Lychee Sangria. Those have such a great taste. Hawaii has so many wonderful foods to experience and you got amazing shots!

On June 23rd, 2010 at 9:24 am, Liv said:

So tasty-looking! Hawaii seems like an incredible place to eat.

On June 23rd, 2010 at 10:05 am, Amy Dishes said:

need to book a flight pronto so i can enjoy that lynchee sangria—sound perfect to sip while a tradewind laps my skin!

On June 23rd, 2010 at 10:10 am, Krista said:

What a splendidly glorious feast! I LOVE the sounds of that Sangria. Mmm. :-)

On June 23rd, 2010 at 5:09 pm, Nancie (LadyExpat) said:

This looks beyond amazing!

On June 23rd, 2010 at 8:21 pm, GotPassport said:

oh my goodness-my mouth is watering. My dinner wasn’t that great today so I’m now in grumpy mood and hungry! :-)

The Lychee Sangria sounds divine! Yum!

On January 3rd, 2011 at 7:40 pm, Teri said:

Josselin’s, on Kauai, was our favorite restaurant during our 15-day holiday vacation. Even with a reservation, however, we had to wait more than 45 minutes for our second dinner there. Josselin’s did comp us for two desserts, which was very nice. Do try Josselin’s. It is well worth the wait. I don’t have a favorite dish, but we did order the pineapple upside down cake both nights. I will be looking for a comparable pomegranite sangria recipe…delicious!

1. Getting Better Beautifully with Help from Germany » Rambling Tart on June 23rd, 2010 at 7:16 am
  2. Got Crabs? « I Eat My Pigeon on June 23rd, 2010 at 9:23 am
  3. Charmed by Chives | Seared Food Blog on June 23rd, 2010 at 9:47 am
  4. Wanderfood Wednesday — Delicious Balinese Seafood | Budget Travelers Sandbox on June 23rd, 2010 at 5:05 pm