Spa me the details darling

by Dianne Sharma-Winter - Heart of India
( February 9th, 2010 )

Spatart
I have said it before and I will say it again, don’t get mad get a facial but if someone is going to pour warm oil on my furrowed brow for forty five minutes then obviously I am going to go for that.
I spent some time in Kerala last year learning the practical of Ayurvedic massage and treatment. Ayurveda is an ancient science and one of the most comprehensive systems of health that I know of.
Ayurveda is not just about curing illness but about longevity and preserving life. Wellness comes from within, not with some quick chemical fix or surgical incision. I remember watching a documentary last time I was home where the reporter went off to investigate the current rage for cosmetic surgery. Before her foray into the world of the chemical fix, she consulted a panel of ‘beauty experts’ who gave their opinion on her looks. She was to go off and have as many treatments as she thought she needed and return back to them for a final report.
The woman went crazy and had all sorts of painful things done to her face and returned to the panel poorer and sorer for their opinion.
One “expert” said that she approved of the work that had been done because the woman reporter had returned looking like she had just spent two weeks in a health spa.
Now why the silly tart didn’t just go off to a health spa instead of getting herself sliced and peeled and gods knows what I don’t know.
This is what she missed, in one session at Jasmin Spa and Villa in Sri Lanka.
First you sit in a chair while warm oil is poured your head. Your head is massaged until every thought you ever had melts into insignificance. Then you are placed gently on a table and your entire body is massaged with divinely scented oil.
Then your face is massaged with vanilla scented cream.
If you happen to have a hot flush while this process is taking place, the therapist will gently wipe your face with tissues and wait for the moment to pass.
Then you are lead to the steam bath.
Fragrant smells of ancient wood and herbal leaves penetrate your body as you go through a process of sudation, which is sweating away all toxins in your body.
After that you get to lie in a cool room with some water and relax.
Then comes the most exquisite experience known to womankind. You are led into a quiet dark room. You lie on a table while the therapist begins to pour warm oil in a constant stream across your forehead.
Just when you think angels have led you to lala land, the Shirodhara is over and it’s time for a shower.
After the shower, you will find a floral bath waiting for you. The water is blood temperature and jasmine flowers float on the surface, other fragrant leaves are suspended in the dark water. A candle hangs above the bath and once again you float off on a dream of being a queen.
Very gently you are led back into reality land with an herbal tea and a plate of fruit and an air-conditioned van drives you back to your guesthouse.
You sweep past everything and float to your room where you sleep like a flower and awake smelling like one as well.
I took only a one-day treatment but the centre and many other Ayurvedic centers offer one or two week programs.
Three days after the Shirodhara treatment, I am still sleeping like a baby at night and having moments of absolute peace during the madness of the days that followed.

Comments
On February 10th, 2010 at 4:44 pm, Marian Wood said:

Sounds absolutely heavenly!

On February 11th, 2010 at 1:16 am, Dianne said:

It was and it is and I am going back for more more more!

On February 11th, 2010 at 9:59 pm, Tracey Tawhiao said:

The very thing a woman needs to be happy is a
health spa like that next door…OMG Iwish I was there.
XXTT

On February 13th, 2010 at 2:40 am, heartofindia said:

I wish you were here too darling! Organise a girlfriend and deserving mother of teenagers Getaway and lets go again and again and again! I am sure it took years off my face

On March 27th, 2010 at 5:17 am, Annalie Killian said:

I was wondering f you coud mention the name, location and contact details of the place where you entered this heavenly state? A personal reference will be much easier than navigating through hundreds of search results for hours!

On March 29th, 2010 at 2:27 am, heartofindia said:

Hi Annalie
the name of the place is Jasmin Villa Ayurvedic Centre in Negombo. Phone is 031 4927134 They will collect you from any hotel in the area.
I am taking a small group there in July and you are welcome to join us!

On April 28th, 2010 at 5:47 pm, darlene love said:

you are an amazing writer and i just love what you write cant wait for more

On April 28th, 2010 at 9:33 pm, heartofindia said:

Thanks for the comment darlene love, don’t forget to hit the RSS button on my blog so you can be automatically updated! Kisses!

On August 18th, 2011 at 4:41 pm, Kominki said:

Hi there, I found your website via Google while looking for a related topic, your site came up, it looks great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

On October 31st, 2011 at 8:55 am, jersey said:

I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

On November 2nd, 2011 at 7:41 am, Dianne Sharma-Winter - Heart of India said:

Hi Kominki, happy reading!

1. Heart of India Tours | LesbianTravelnet.com - Inside Lesbian Travel on February 27th, 2011 at 2:58 am