What am I doing here?

by Alana Morgan
( March 17th, 2012 )

What do you do when you don’t know what you want to do?

Jaisalmer, India

Wondering, “What I’m doing here?”, in Jaisalmer, India

After graduating college I was fortunate.  I had no student loans (thank you parents and incredibly proactive financial planning…) and fell into a good job using my public relations degree.  Yet I was in a rut.  You know that post-college slump that I think most people experience but that no one ever tells you about before you leave school?  That was it.  I knew I wasn’t happy and kind of lost.  But what to do??  Where to go?  Which direction, career- and living-wise, should I even consider to fully pursue?

I had no idea what I wanted but instead of just sitting around becoming more stuck in my routine and the mundane comfort of the familiar waiting for something to happen…I moved to Asia.  It wasn’t quite that simple or quick (I had lived at home and commuted two hours a day for several years before I made a change), but it also wasn’t that crazy or difficult to do.

In the past 10 past months I have traveled through Thailand, India, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos with a friend and on my own, learned to ride a motorbike, picked up some bed bugs, have been pinned against a wall by a jeep, ridden an elephant and a camel, survived five fevers and not one, but two 33-hour train rides, got pissed on by a monkey, head-butted by a cow, had my ass grabbed in a temple, eaten some of the best food in the world and found myself a legit home and job in the incredible Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Ultimately, I’m a 20-something Pacific Northwest native trying to experience different things, people and places to help decide how I want to shape and live my life.  Traveling opens us up to, literally, a world of ideas, opportunities, lessons, activities and relationships that we would not have access to otherwise.  Though I have a home base at the moment, I will be traveling more in Southwest Asia, Australia and New Zealand before heading back west….and by west I mean hopefully getting stuck in Europe somehow.  Many people have told me I’m lucky, and I am, but I did this all myself and can’t stand it when people believe they can’t travel for silly reasons, think there’s a shelf life to traveling or simply don’t have the balls to do it.  I’ve schemed and saved to be able to live and explore abroad for an extended period of time – and have no plans on settling down anytime soon!

Follow me and my stories at Gen Y Wanderer as I write about what it’s like to be an American millennial abroad trying to figure out her next move.

Photographs by Alana

Comments
On March 17th, 2012 at 3:21 am, Kiwi said:

I am so excited to read more about your wandering! Totally keep up with blogging… I can’t wait to hear about more adventures…Also, elaborate on your experiences so far. Being pinned by a jeep? Monkey pee? Do tell.

On March 17th, 2012 at 4:29 am, Kelly said:

Can’t wait to read about your adventures, Alana! :)

On March 17th, 2012 at 2:48 pm, Lady sherpa said:

Welcome Alana! I look forward to reading about your wanderings!

On March 17th, 2012 at 4:19 pm, Alana Morgan - Gen Y Wanderer said:

Thanks all – I appreciate the support and feed back as I figure this all out! x

On March 17th, 2012 at 4:29 pm, Haley said:

Excited to read more, my friend! Love to you.

On March 17th, 2012 at 6:52 pm, Nisi said:

I thought your mom and I were brave going to Europe for two months with a Eurail Pass . . . You’re an absolutely amazing young lady. I can’t wait to read more and hopefully will be visiting you somewhere along the way.

On March 20th, 2012 at 12:05 am, Melinda Eliza Sabo - Global Snapshots said:

Welcome to WL&L Alana! I look forward to reading more about your adventures.
All the best,
Melinda

On March 23rd, 2012 at 5:47 pm, for more info click here said:

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually recognize what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my web site =). We can have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us!

On March 23rd, 2012 at 6:47 pm, Alana Morgan - Gen Y Wanderer said:

Thanks, Melinda – I appreciate it!

On March 23rd, 2012 at 7:14 pm, click and find out more said:

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such great information being shared freely out there.

On March 26th, 2012 at 9:33 pm, Jutta Wojtczak said:

I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thank for your time of this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

On March 29th, 2012 at 1:25 am, Alexandria Holly said:

Can’t wait to read more, Alana. Keep wandering but do come home once in a while. XO

On April 24th, 2012 at 1:04 pm, Chiang Mai Property said:

I just love travel tales and yours are no exception. Please keep them coming. I miss my days on the road.